Chartres Cathedral, also known as the Cathedral of Our Lady of Chartres,located in Chartres, France, about 80 kilometres (50 mi) southwest of Paris. The current cathedral is constructed between 1194 and 1220.
The majority of the original stained glass windows survive intact.
All the glass from the cathedral was removed in 1939 just before the Germans invaded France, and it was cleaned after the War and releaded before replacing.
While the city suffered heavy damage by bombing in the course of World War II, the cathedral was spared by an American Army officer who challenged the order to destroy it.
Colonel Welborn Barton Griffith, Jr. questioned the strategy of destroying the cathedral and volunteered to go behind enemy lines to find out whether the German Army was occupying the cathedral and using it as an observation post. With a single enlisted soldier to assist, Griffith proceeded to the cathedral and confirmed that the Germans were not using it.
After he returned from his reconnaissance, he reported that the cathedral was clear of enemy troops.
The order to destroy the cathedral was withdrawn, and the Allies later liberated the area.